Wednesday, September 21, 2016
Posted by andrea.at.the.blue.door at 8:29 PM 1 comment:
Friday, September 16, 2016
The Primitive Smock
I adapted the techniques I'd previously used for making an eighteenth century shirt. The smock is cut entirely of squares and rectangles. Some of the squares are folded in half and used as triangles. I used some linen that had been in my stash for about 10 years.
The most interesting feature of these smocks is that there is no front opening. This makes the smock faster to make up and is a better functional choice if the goal is to keep out sea spray, dust, chaff, and the like.
I guessed, mostly right, on the size for the neck opening. Quite a bit of arithmetic was involved to account for the amount that the neck gusset added to the neck circumference. The next time I make up the smock, I'll make the neck opening about an inch smaller.
I didn't make the side vents deep enough, which means that I have to hike up the smock a bit if I want to put my hands in my pockets.
Seams and hems were sewn by machine. The sleeve and body seams were flat-felled by hand.
|Neck gusset and collar band|
The hip gussets were sewn in by hand.
|Hip gusset at the left|
|Marked so that everybody knows it's mine|
Posted by andrea.at.the.blue.door at 10:16 AM No comments:
Labels: linen, recherche sewing, shirt, smock
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)